Saturday, August 11, 2007

How does one measure success?

It's easy to get discouraged in our daily life when we feel like we're not making a difference. It feels like we work at things and we're "wasting our time". Some days I feel like if I have to remind my kids to say please and thank you "one more time" and then all of a sudden they say it w/out prompt to friends and relatives. They ask thoughtful questions or show compassion (where once a mother thought there was none!) We might think....it's a waste of time for me to recycle this can (am I really making a difference?), or take the time to thank the cashier, to write a thank you note, to learn a few vocabulary words,... does it matter?
I came home from three weeks away to an entirely dead garden. Overgrown with weeds, wilted and exhausted from the Houston heat. It was a sad sight, really rather pathetic and another thing to add to my list. I was out pulling some of the weeds and old tomato plants in the 100 + heat today and something caught my eye. On top of my seeminglyl dead plant was this near perfect cherry tomato!! Just sitting, almost smiling at me with delight. It was as though this little tomato couldn't wait to show itself off and I almost missed it yanking the plant out!
This little tomato thrived in the heat, the every day rain we received while we were away. It survived the overgrowth of weeds. Do I miss more things in my life because I can't see past the weeds? Am I too impatient when conditions don't meet my expectations so I yank prematurely. Does this apply to my parenting. Can I see each of my children as unique. Thriving under various conditions? Anders thrived on the farm. He couldn't get enough of the outdoors, the tools and tractors, he was happiest dirty!
This little tomato may tell a story bigger than the heartiest tomato in a perfect garden.
At least it did for me today? OR...It could still be the delirium of recovering from strep throat too that made me so reflective from a tiny mater!!...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wax poetic. I love it. and your family!! More, more, more.
Mormor

Anonymous said...

Amem. Bob the tomato!!! Very well written. Thanks for sharing
Jann

Anonymous said...

audra looks so cute on her first day tell her i love her have you gotten my letter yet?

Greta