Monday, June 2, 2008

New Life

We have had this ugly cactus since we moved to Texas. I'm almost certain, if not longer. It's in an average terra cotta plant holder and there are two very ordinary cacti that have lived with us forever. They get little attention. In fact I water them often only during my gardening season of Spring through early summer and every now and then I think they're dying and I should just throw them away. Their planter has weeds in it, they look sad and out of place next to the lush green when Spring comes to Houston. Most recently as we moved from our old place I made a mental note to toss them. They even got left behind in the move. We haven't closed on our old place and so I've been going back to water the garden and pull from it bundles of cherry tomatoes....a great crop this year. I noticed two unsightly brown bumps on top of the cactus and thought....do I scrape those off?? NO Amy....just throw them. I forgot (again) until last week I went to water the garden and what to my wondering eyes did appear!!!!! BUT TWO BEAUTIFUL YELLOW FLOWERS ATOP my very ordinary cactus!!!! GLORIOUS!!!!! These pictures don't even do it justice. THese flowers were the most yellow thing I'd ever seen. CAN you hardly stand it?? The coorelation to our lives....oh these ordinary cactus where just doing what they were made to do, with no great fanfare for 10 long years. And the pivitol hour, I was going to throw them away......and they bloomed, gorgeous, lovely blooms. Would they have bloomed for no one to see? Would they have still fulfilled their purpose had I tossed them in the field behind our house? I suspect so... I imagine they would have been just as beautiful but OH I would have missed something!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hjkl

Jenny Deitz said...

A beautiful reminder of the necessity of our thorns! They WILL produce something one day!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can hardly believe it! But I have said that about some people, also. Mum

Anonymous said...

You should see the cactus blooms in Arizona. They are absolutely beautiful and always surprising.
Uncle Dave