Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Summer personified!


there are so many "blog entries" going through my head in a days time that just never get written. Mostly because I am too tired at the end of the day and spend the last remaining minutes wiping kitchen counters before I plop into bed. This one....had to be written. This past weekend was our last "summer weekend" as school officially started yesterday. The kids were playing a rousing game of soccer with their dad in the backyard....Dane watching from the baby jogger (getting eaten by mosquitoes I later discovered). I was inside doing some housework, getting dinner ready and doing a little work on the computer when I heard the faint din of "organ music...playing maybe a Disney song"??? huh?? THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!! We have yet to see this spectacle in our new neighborhood but in less than 10 seconds I heard my children yell at the top of their lungs....IIICCCCEEEE CREAAAAAAAAAMMMM TRUCK!!!!!!!! No sooner did it register that they were aware of his passing by than doors were flung open. I walked out of the office door only to discover. Dane in the middle of the house in a baby jogger, back door open, front door open and NOBODY else around!! Were Dane and I "left behind?" Surely not....
Several minutes later Chris comes strolling in with the three stooges. They all proudly showed me their fake colored ice cream on a stick through the back door (as they were asked to eat it OUTSIDE!) Their eyes beaming with glee, their skin stained with the artificial colors and teeth a bright blue. We had actually only one other time in their little lives let them buy ice cream from this sketchy truck so I was a bit surprised by their purchase. It was only later that I learned that Chris had followed them up from the yard only to find this....(see picture). Anders running down driveway, then sidewalk holding his quite large (he asked for it for Christmas) breakable piggy bank!! In those few seconds he had made the connection that the only hope of his getting any ice cream would be to take his own stash of pennies to the truck. As it turns out....Audra and Gunnar also had grabbed their money and were asked to purchase Anders as he had less than the $3 required for this frivolous purchase. None the less......they were all thrilled to end their summer with a well deserved...." Ice cream on a stick!"
Now that's summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest funniest, oh my gosh adorable.
Auntie Jann
I want to hear abuot their first days of school.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a picture of them all covered in fake dye? I knew that would be what you would notice but good Mom--- you let them indulge this once. Mom